Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Kyrie the Artist

Part of Ky's speech delay carries over to her writing/drawing skills. We have been diligently working on shapes with her, while her preschool teachers have worked really hard on teaching her all the "strokes" she needs to learn to write. While most of her classmates can draw people, houses, and trees - we celebrated the joy of accomplishing a circle. Last week, her speech therapist pulled me aside to tell me how much she had grown since Christmas break. "Incredible progress" were the words she used. I was thrilled!


If that wasn't proof enough, Ky was sitting at the table drawing on her doodlepad and she proudly said "Mama! I did it! SUN!" and she had done it too. A BEAUTIFUL sun all by herself. We still have a lot of work to do - but today we will sit, have some ice cream, and enjoy the SUN.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, that's great!! YAY!

At Hayden's preschool (through the school district) they do practice strokes for the letters.. like: touch pull down. Up and around. Touch pull over.. that sort of thing.

Well a few weeks ago (he's just now getting into writing letters) he kept doing all these weird head twitches. I ignored it for a few days and then finally asked what he was doing.. if he knew he was..

He said, "Yeah, I'm just tracing letters that I see." Sure enough.. the head twitches followed as Touch pull down.. Touch pull over.. It was so neat to see how he finally made that connection.

Anyway, yay for the sun!

Keely & Joel said...

This is beautiful! Made me cry a little--wish we were closer.