Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fireworks (for real!)

For those who don't know me well, the 4th of July is my favorite holiday. I love how for one day the majority of the country sets aside their differences and comes together to celebrate. I have had a Grandfather, Uncle, Cousin, and Brother-In-Law serve in the military and I love reflecting on the freedom they helped to preserve. This year I couldn't wait to share this with the girls.

We took the girls to "Stadium of Fire" at Cougar Stadium. OH my! How much fun they had! With american bows, sparkly fingernails, hair glitter, face paint, and glow jewelry they were dressed for the occasion. The event started with sky divers and if that was all there had been - the girls would have left happy. They squealed with delight at the bright parachutes and clapped their whole way down. When they landed Savvy waved at them and said "hi! thank you!" She's so sweet!
The girls loved the dancers, and it made me think that only 10 years ago my mom was there watching me perform. The girls danced along to the Blue Man Group and Miley Cyrus (however they were a little confused at the hundreds of screaming ten year olds all around us.) They both had a lot of fun with the 3D glasses that were meant for the fireworks between the acts.

I fell in love with this picture of Ky. It's just... her. Both of the girls loved the fireworks. Savvy was sitting on Daddy's lap and the fireworks lulled her to sleep despite her best efforts to watch them. Ky was wide awake though! She snuggled into my lap and ohh'd and ahh'd at the lights. I decided that everything is more wonderous through the eyes of a child. I covered her ears for most of it, and when they got really loud she covered her eyes as well. I don't know how it helped, but she thought it was effective. I could have sat there with her on my lap forever - just enjoying the time together.

No comments: